Monday 27 July 2009

Don't take any guff from this swine flu.

With all the fuss over swine flu in the press, it is no surprise that the British public are losing their damn minds. As a nation we are very susceptible to propaganda, and we love to be warned of new things to fear. In my life time I have had to suffer the panic of… Aids, MRSA, SARS, Bird flu, Swine flu, terrorists, Thatcher, the poor, the rich, drugs, drug takers, dead batteries in smoke detectors, Christmas trees going on fire, strangers with sweets, paedophiles, Y2K, war, Michael Jackson, immigrants, crossing the road, germs, viruses and many more. There is no wonder so many people buy the fear.

Sadly the majority of people in Britain read about these things in the tabloid press, instead of maybe reading about it in magazines or websites written by people who would know, doctors and scientists and such. Not Richard fucking Littlejohn. So instead of people understanding subjects, be it terrorists or illness, they receive incorrect info and spread it on like rancid butter, resulting in an edge to edge covering of propaganda. One of the reasons it is becoming such a big hit in the back catalogue of illnesses we have been threatened with is due to people not being able to distinguish between the cold and the flu. We men find this particularly difficult.

I have never been a fan of painkillers etc, I prefer to fight it out (in my mind it makes my immune system stronger). One thing I am definitely unsure of is when a crooked government offer a pill to help with some illness that they have so blatantly blown out of all proportion. If the idea of a government drugging people leads to you thinking I am some sort of nut then maybe you should read more, and I don’t mean The Daily Mail.

There is little chance of dying from swine flu, well as much chance as there is of dying from regular flu, and you shouldn’t worry about leaving the house because you will get it at some point. Of course I realise that by commenting on this I am opening myself up to ridicule in the event of me dying of swine flu, man I would feel silly. But since I don’t buy into the hype, and since no one reads my blog then I don’t need to worry about it at all. Remember that buses can kill you, but you still cross roads.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

aw, well I just read it. This very thing is happening to me right now. I'm ill and people are telling me I should ring that NHS direct number. I checked the symptoms of swine flu and really, they are the symptoms of flu... hmmm, since I've been iller than this before I think I'll stick it out. Of course, as you say, if I'm dead next week I am going to feel a bit silly.

Transcendent said...

Actually, I read (pronounced "red") your blog. I have two followers on my blog. I might drop in again sometime. Feel free to stop by my blog sometime too.

Haze said...

I had it and it wasnt that bad, well it was poo but could have been much worse. More people die due to so called normal flu each year. Media induced chaos.

Glad you are feeling better Sam.

x