Friday 16 October 2009

Hobbies, coffees and ignorance.

There are many things one can do with their spare time, if of course you allow for such a thing in your hectic and important life. Some people like to do outdoor activities, which are fun, providing you have the get up and go to get up and get there. Hobbies tend to work also, as do watching films and tv shows, which is a personal favourite of mine, and I suppose that is a hobby. Either way, spare time is not something to be fearful of, if there was something more important to be done you would probably be doing it. I realised this last night in the middle of my 5 disc of TV show Fringe (which is brilliant coincidentally) I had two things planned for last night, well three, but two things I haven't done in a while. Sit in on my own, and get through my large box of what can best be described as demented scribblings.

I tend to write everything in lovely books you can buy at my local stationary shop which will remain nameless because despite it's local tag, I don't really like the place. However, the books are good, and fairly cheap. Before the discovery of these books, I would write everything down in yellow legal pads that were housed in a lovely leather folder that was a gift from my good friend Becky B. I also had a period of writing on my little notebook laptop, but that has contracted aids from some filthy site I must have visited one day.

The good thing about looking back at old writing is finding the stuff you didn't want anyone else to see, the stuff you don't print, just as much fun is finding the original notes of things that became something else. For example i found my notes from the first night me and my buddy Gus played GTA on the PS3, online, which then became a post on this blog. I also stumbled upon the book that houses the lyrics I contributed to what would become a major label album, which was exciting because I was almost positive I'd lost that book.

I've lost my train of thought, as I am working in a cafe at the minute, making coffee for people, and trying not to gorge myself to death on the fine selection of cakes I sell. Spare time, that's where I started. I had mentioned to one of my customers that I had spent my spare time doing as I mentioned last night. His reaction was to make fun that I had spare time, and implied that if I had a job like his I wouldn't have spare time. It took me a while to realise he had pretty much called me a loser, so long in fact that he had long since left the cafe. I lost, I need to deal with it. However, he was wearing a suit, which given the area surrounding my work makes him a banker or a lawyer, or some other 9-5 shit hole of a job. Which would mean he has more spare time than me because if I'm not working here I am working nights at a bar. Of course he could have children that take up time, but that's not my fault, that has nothing to do with his superior profession, if anything his kids should be the first thing he thinks about when someone says the words 'spare time', but they weren't, and I'm sure there is a reason for it.

Anyway, aside from pompous pricks, I remembered what I was getting at. My hobby is writing, and you can now read more of it at www.worldnewsvine.net. Come check it out.
Henry. x

3 comments:

Unknown said...

in my spare time I like to read things... like this blog... oh, and I also like to write demented scribblings in lovely notebooks :)

Dr Henry Hunter said...

I'm glad we have that in common. X

Transcendent said...

Don't give it much thought. I have a very demanding job. I don't make coffee and I often have to study at home/do research. But there are times where I say I would trade what I do for simpler days when I had less responsibility, got paid less, but had much more sense of comradery with my coworkers and sense of accomplishment. Keep being yourself.